Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Two Cent Tuesday: Cowboys and Aliens

Two Cent Tuesday where I give my review of movies I have seen recently
Last weekend I saw Cowboys and Aliens on opening day. In fact I saw it at the first showing in the morning and watched it with a whole crowd of senior citizens. Guess I am getting old.

Someone asked me what Cowboys and Aliens is about. I said it is right there in the title.  It is about aliens invading the old west.  Simple but different concept.  I love the concept.  I have always loved alien movies while and have always been fascinated by the ancient alien theory which says that aliens have been visiting us since Biblical times.  So, it only makes sense that aliens had visited the old west and cowboys probably had seen them.  In the movie the aliens are not friendly and are kidnapping people from the old west town and stealing all the gold.  The only person who can save the town people is the fugitive Jake Lonergan (Daniel Craig) who has a mysterious gadget on his wrist.  He teams up with a rancher and ex war hero Col. Woodrow Dolarhyde (Harrison Ford) and a mysterious women(Olivia Wild) to fight the aliens.

There has been a lot made about this being James Bond meets Indiana Jones but people forget that it has happened before in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when Sean Connery played Indy's father.  But it is still cool to see these two iconic stars in the same movie.  The movie is exactly what you would expect fun with some cool effects. Daniel Craig looks very cool in the movie but Harrison Ford doesn't look as comfortable playing an aging cowboy.  Ford grunts and growls his way through the movie. They should have got Clint Eastwood to play the cowboy no one can grunt through a movie like him.  But overall the action was cool and it is a great concept.  And I highly recommend checking out Ancient Aliens on the History Channel great show with some crazy theories. In fact the first episode of Ancient Aliens Season 3 was about UFO's in the Wild West. Ancient Aliens Official Website
Rating B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This