Sunday, June 5, 2011

MTV Movie Awards 2011

Well the MTV Movie Awards are tonight thought I would give my two cents on them.

The MTV Movie Awards usually nominate the highest grossing movies and movies that speak to the masses. I like to think of myself as a film goer that can appreciate both the indie art house movies and the mindless summer blockbuster, but nowadays I find myself tending to see more critically praised movies and not so much the big budget movies. There was a time when I would have seen all the movies nominated for Best Movie but those days have passed I guess I am just not the target demographic for MTV anymore. In fact there was a short time when I would have seen all the movies nominated for Best Movie at the MTV Awards and Best Picture at the Academy Awards. Oh well guess people change I just hope that I am not becoming one of those movie snobs I hated growing up. I did manage to see 3 of the movies nominated (Inception, The Social Network, and Black Swan) but those 3 were also nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. MTV usually nominates a few movies that were also nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars but very rarely does a movie win both. Three movies have won both awards they are Titanic, Gladiator, and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Lately though it seems like voting has been taken over by Tween Girls. I don’t think movies like Terminator 2, A Few Good Men, Seven, or Pulp Fiction would win these days. The past two years the Twilight movies have won Best Movie beating movies like The Dark Knight and The Hangover.  It has the most nominations again this year so we will see if it can make it 3 years in a row.
Lets get to the predictions
Update in Red with Winners. All in all I did pretty well. I correctly predicted 10 our of the 12 winners. 
Best Movie-The nomination that most surprised me here was Black Swan thought it was a little too trippy for most people.
My prediction- The Twilight Saga: Eclipse. My personal Pick- Inception
Winner-The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Best Female Performance- Jennifer Aniston seems out of place here with the much younger crop of nominees.
My Prediction: Kristen Stewart Personal Pick: Natalie Portman
Winner-Kristen Stewart
Best Male Performance-Battle of the two guys from Eclipse
Prediction; Robert Pattinson Personal Pick: Jesse Eisenberg (honestly it’s the only one I had seen in this category)
Winner-Robert Pattinson
Best Breakout Star-I hate it when they nominate people who have been on TV shows for Breakout Performances but I don’t think Olivia Wilde has a chance here. Also I have no idea who Xavier Samuel is from Eclipse so I am going with that he is not a breakout star. It’s a difficult choice between Hailee Steinfeld, Andrew Garfield, and Chloe Grace Moretz.
Prediction and Personal Pick: Chloe Grace Moretz
Winner-Chloe Grace Moretz

Best Comedic Performance-Just recently saw Easy A and glad I did because it is the funniest movie out of these choices.
Prediction and Personal Pick-Emma Stone
Winner-Emma Stone

Best Line from A Movie-Tough choices but I am going to go with the dialogue from the movie that won best Screenplay at the Oscars.
Prediction and Personal Pick: “If you guys were the inventors of Facebook, you’d have invented Facebook”-Social Network
Winner-"I want to get Chocolate wasted" Grown Ups

Best Villain-Hard one I only saw two of the movies nominated and neither one of those are great villains.
Prediction: Tom Felton from Harry Potter Personal Pick: Can I just pick the winner from 1996 and say Kevin Spacey from Seven still the best villain to win the award.
Winner-Tom Felton
Best Fight-This one is for me is between Kick-Ass and Inception two of my favorite fight scenes of the year.
Prediction: The Twilight Saga: Eclipse Personal Pick: Inception
Winner-The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Best Kiss: Another category with two Eclipse nominations
Prediction: Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson Personal Pick-Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis
Winner-Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson
Best Jaw Dropping Moment-wow a category without an Eclipse Nomination but another Tween sensation will probably take this one.
Prediction: Justin Bieber Personal Pick: Inception
Winner-Justin Bieber
Best Scared-As-Sh_ _ Performance-Again no Eclipse nominations here but not sure who is going to win.
Prediction and Personal Pick: Ryan Reynolds
Winner-Ellen Page
Biggest Badass Star-Not sure what constitutes Biggest Badass star but the best badass in this group is the smallest
Prediction and Personal Pick: Chloe Grace Moretz
Winner-Chloe Grace Moretz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This