Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Two Cent Tuesday: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Two Cent Tuesday where I give my review of a movie I have seen recently

My mom was still in town and this time instead of seeing a Best Picture Oscar contender I dragged her to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes. When I first heard that this movie was coming out I thought great another Planet of the Apes movie and thought it sounded stupid but when I saw the first preview I changed my mind and knew I had to see it. The movie won't be nominated for Best Picture but might get a nomination for special effects.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes or ROTPOTA as I like to call it is a direct sequel to the original Planet of the Apes. Although if you never saw the original this movie is a spoiler to the end. But if you saw the original and ever wondered how the apes conquered Earth this movie explains it. While trying to find a cure for Alzeimers Diesese a scientist (James Franco) test a new drug on some apes. It turns out the drug works too well and not only reverses the diesese but increases cognitive function in normal brain cells. He brings home Ceasar a son of one the chimps the drug was tested on. He shows incredible intelligence a becomes like a pet. When something happens and Ceasar is placed in a ape refuge he is mistreated he organizes an uprising that grows to more then just the refuge and they end up taking over San Francisco. At the same time a deadly virus is released that only affects humans. Leading to what will probably be another sequel.

The movie was pretty good despite being a little slow in the beginning. Of course you are waiting the whole movie for the apes to actually rise up. But once they do it is a treat to watch. The action is amazing and the apes look cool. It is one of the best action movies of the summer. The motion captured actors playing the apes did a great job especially Andy Serkis as Ceasar. I also liked how they tied it in to the original except for the part when the guy says the most classic line from the original "take your hands off me you damned dirty ape" no one can say it like Charlton Heston.
Overall Rating: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This