Sunday, July 17, 2011

Listomania Sunday: Best Documentaries


A coworker once asked me if all documentaries are left wing propaganda.  I guess the only documentary filmmakers he heard of were Al Gore and Michael Moore.  I had to tell him that most documentaries are not political at all and in fact there are some right wing documentaries also. But of course Hollywood is know for being liberal and there do tend to be more left leaning documentaries nominated for Best Documentary at the Academy Awards but that doesn't mean all documentaries are like that.  I decided to make a list of my favorite documentaries which recently has become one of my favorite types of movies to watch.  Especially at Sundance there are usually some amazing ones.  Although it seems like a lot of the good documentaries at Sundance are picked up by HBO and shown on TV and never make it to the big screen to be eligible for the Academy Award.  But here is my list. 

1.  Super Size Me
2.  Grizzly Man
3.  Waiting for "Superman"
4.  Bowling for Columbine
5.  Spellbound

This was a tough list to make as I have a lot of favorite documentaries.  Others that just missed the top 5 are Encounters at the End of the World, Restrepo, Jesus Camp, and A Small Act.  And if you love nature docs you should check out March of the Penguins, Microcosmos and Winged Migration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This