Sunday, May 8, 2011

Listomania Sunday: Best Natural Disaster Movies


The weather has been crazy lately and every time the news interviews someone they always say its like a movie.  So I was trying to think of what the best natural disaster movies are.

1.  Twister- Probably the coolest movie about tornadoes. Who could forget the flying cow scene.
2.  The Perfect Storm-Sort of based on true events. The storm scenes are really cool.
3.  Dante's Peak-Came out the same year as Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones but I think this one was better.
4. Outbreak-Took me a while to decide if this was a natural disaster movie or not. A movie about a virus outbreak is natural but is it a disaster? With towns quarantined I decided it was.    
5. The Day After Tomorrow-This was a good movie but it had a lot of logic flaws that bothered me. But overall it was a fun movie and there wasn't any other natural disaster movies that I could come up with that would be better.  

It turns out that there aren't that many great natural disaster movies.  I had to ask my friend Chris for help in trying to think of good movies. The one suggestion was Earthquake with Charlton Heston but I have never seen it so I don't know how good it is. Another suggestion was Armageddon. While I had thought about Armageddon and it is a great movie and would make the list if I considered it a natural disaster movie. While a meteor striking Earth would be considered a natural disaster the movie takes place almost entirely in space and there is very little disaster scenes on Earth. Deep Impact another asteroid movie would qualify if it was a better movie. The one movie that almost made it was The Poseidon Adventure but wasn't sure if I wanted to have two movies about big waves. Plus besides the ship there was not much of disasters other places.  So I guess my final opinion on that was no enough disaster to make it on the list. 

My friend Chris' picks are almost the same as mine.
1) Twister
2) The Perfect Storm
3) Outbreak
4) The Day After
5) The Black Hole

In my opinion a natural disaster movie needs to take place on Earth so I wouldn't include The Black Hole but it is a natural occurrence and it is a disaster. 


Any other movies people think should be on here. Would love to hear your opinions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This