Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sundance Day 3


Well since I didn't review it last night and technically I saw it today I will start with the Catechism Cataclysm. Being a midnight film you have to know what you are getting into.  This is a crazy comedy.  It is about a priest who is really no good at his job and goes on a canoe trip with a guy he idolized in high school.  Things just go wacky on their trip.  It is a funny movie that just keeps getting more bizarre as it goes along and you never know what to expect. 



After 4 hours sleep I got up at 6:30am and we barely made it to the first movie this morning due to some bus issues.  But we made it in time to see Sound of My Voice. I wasn't sure what to expect. The description was kind of vague with something about a cult. I was kind of expecting something over the top like Eyes Wide Shut, but it was nothing like that. It was actually really grounded in reality. The characters felt real and even though the cult leader was crazy she was not over the top.  She claimed she was from the future and knew what was to come. This was one of the first times I actually asked a question during the Q&A. I was curious where they got the idea for the time traveler from because it sounded like the story of Jon Titor who claimed he was a time traveler and the director confirmed that he did base the character on him.  There were some bizarre things in the movie that they never really explained but I really enjoyed the movie. 

I went right from Sound of My Voice to Hobo With a Shotgun.  This was one of the most entertaining screening I have ever had.  Rutger Hauer who played the Hobo was at the screening and showed up with an actual shotgun. Then during the Q&A he ran around the theatre with a video camera recording peoples questions.  Was a lot of fun. The film is exactly what you would expect from a movie in the midnight category called Hobo with a Shotgun.. Basically a hobo goes on a rampage with a shotgun to clean up a town. Just lots of blood and disgusting scenes and a whole lot of fun. 

Before all these screenings there were short film screenings.  Before the Catechism Cataclysm the movie was Sasquatch Birth Journal 2. It was a pretty ridiculous movie about a big foot giving birth. It was kind of amusing since the movie I had seen right before this was Letters From the Big Man which was an awful movie about big foot. While this wasn't very good it was funny.  Then before Sound of My Voice the short was Pandemic 41.410806, -75.654259.  This is part of a larger project at Sundance that includes the Internet, cell phones, and random tokens left around Park City. The movie didn't make much sense by itself but I am interested in seeing what else this guy does. The whole idea of the project is that this pandemic is sweeping the country and turning adults into zombies and leaving the kids to fend for themselves.  While you don't get all of that from the short I am hoping maybe he will do a feature as I like the concept.  Then before Hobo with a Shotgun the best short I have seen so far was shown and that was The Legend of Beaver Creek. This is a funny horror musical about kids on a camping trip. Similar to Hobo with a Shotgun it is ultra violent and overly gory and a lot of fun. 

Thats it for now. Another midnight movie tonight and early morning movie tomorrow then some skiing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This