Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hamlet 1948


What can you say about Hamlet. It is just a film version of the Shakespeare play with very few changes. Although it is the only film version that eliminated Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Laurence Olivier's version from 1948 is considered one of the best versions of Hamlet on film which is saying a lot because there have been many versions. But as far as I am concerned it is one big snooze fest. If you have insomnia and need something to watch to fall asleep this would be my suggestion. Maybe I am just not into Shakespeare but I find it very boring. It doesn't bring anything new to the story, I feel like once you have seen one version there is no need to see another. Took me like five restarts to finally finish the movie because it kept putting me to sleep. I don't know how this movie beat The Treasure of the Sierra Madre for best picture. That was a great movie.

Other Facts
Laurence Olivier was the first person to Direct themselves to a Best Acting Academy Award. Roberto Benigni is the only other person to do that for Life is Beautiful in 1997. They both lost the best directing Oscar.

Eileen Herlie was 28 when she played Hamlets mother Laurence Olivier was 41.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This