Monday, July 26, 2010

Week in Review 7/19-7/25/10

Had a lot going on this week but managed to get a couple of good movies and some not so good movie in.

Watched Soylent Green the 1973 Sci-fi movie with Charlton Heston early in the week. What a cheesefest that was. It's one of those movies that's so bad you have to laugh. It has one great line at the very end which ended up on the AFI list of best quotes but the whole movie leading up to the end is just ridiculous. The movie is supposed to take place in 2022 where overpopulation and global warming has made food scarce. Charlton Heston plays a detective trying to solve a murder of some rich guy who works for the Solyent company. While investigating the guys murder he comes across a giant conspiracy. The investigation makes no sense. One of the funniest parts is when he is interrogating a women who was this guys "furniture", as he asks her questions he is getting undressed and gets into bed with her. Not sure what kind of interrogation technique that is but worked for him. Also apparently the future(if we make it past 2012) will look a lot like the 70's. I know that past trends do come back but lets hope not like that. This is one movie that could use a major update. While the plot and story could be interesting and still relevant with the fears of overpopulation and global warming it just needs to be told better.





Heres another not so good one. I finally saw 2012. Now I guess I kind of had unrealistic high hopes for this movie. 2012 and the Mayan calender is a subject that I find fascinating and have listened to many conspiracy theories on Coast to Coast AM about the subject. And if anyone can pull off an end of the world disaster movie I thought it could be Roland Emmerich the guy that ended the world in Independence Day. But I was very disappointed. At 2 and 1/2 hours the movie is way too long. You should be able to destroy the world alot quicker then that. The movie deals with too many characters that are not necessary to the story. Would have been much shorter and better if we didn't even meet some of these people. Oddly John Cusack is actually good. He is funny and you kind of root for him even in the most bizarre circumstances he is in. Woody Harrelson plays a crazy radio host in a short but hilarious role. What really makes me mad about this movie is that I had an idea similar to this movie years ago when I first started listening to Coast to Coast AM. 2012, solar flares, end of the world, Mayan prophesies, crazy talk show hosts all going to be in my movie. Not like I would ever make a movie anyway. But still. I had the idea first.



After getting postponed a day due to some tornado's in the area I finally go to watch the movie on Friday. So, glad I finally saw the movie before people started telling me things about it and spoiled it. I don't want to give anything away here but lets just say it was mind blowing. The concept, the effects, the acting, and the ending was just amazing. While I know some people would argue that the ending was awful (and I am glad I didn't see it with my wife because I know she would have hated it) but I thought that was exactly how it should have ended. It was a movie and an ending that makes you think and that's how I like it. And what else would you expect from the guy that made Memento another twisting mind blowing movie. And who thought that Joseph Gordon Levitt could be an action star. His fight scene in the hallway was my favorite part of the movie that's all I am saying. It was awesome.



A Small Act is a HBO Documentary that premiered at Sundance earlier this year. Its the story of how a women who made a small charitable contribution to an organization that helps African school kids changed the life of a boy. The boy grew up, went to college, went to Harvard and eventually started his own charitable donation for children in his own village. The movie follows Chris Mburo and his organization as he tries to help kids from his village in Kenya. His organization gives money to the brightest students in the village so they can go to secondary school. The organization is named the Hilde Back Foundation in honor of the Swedish teacher who donated money and sponsored him. After Chris graduates from Harvard, gets a job at the UN and starts this foundation that he named after her he sets out to find out who she is. Its amazing when she finds out after so many years that she truly changed this persons life. Its a great story of how one small act of kindness can change people lives and in turn lead to other's lives being changed. It's an uplifting story that actually shows the pay it forward philosophy is alive in the world. Another incredible documentary from Sundance and glad HBO is showing a bunch of them on Monday nights. So if you have HBO check out their Monday night Documentary Showcase.

To Sum up.
Soylent Green-Bad so bad its almost funny
2012-bad
Inception-awesome-must see
A Small Act-Inspiring-Must see

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This